Total Time 35 Min
Active Time 15 Min
Prep Time 20 Min
This traditional Mexican enfrijoladas recipe is made with a chipotle black bean sauce, and can be stuffed with any of your desired fillings.
1 batch Chipotle Black Bean Sauce (see below)
12 corn tortillas (try our Komali Tortillas)
your favorite fillings (cooked shredded chicken / steak / pork / shrimp, shredded cheese, roasted vegetables, etc.)
your favorite toppings (diced avocado, chopped fresh cilantro, crumbled queso fresco, diced red onion, sour cream, fresh lime wedges etc.)
fresh lime wedges
Black bean sauce:
2 pouches black beans, rinsed and drained (try our Herdez black beans)
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 chipotles in adobo sauce, or more to taste (we recommend the Herdez Chipotles in adobo)
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 cup diced white onion
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp Mexican oregano (find authentic one in our spices section)
1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste
Black bean sauce:
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor, and puree until smooth. Taste, and season with extra salt if needed. (Also feel free to add in an extra chipotle if you would like a smokier black bean sauce.)
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F or 180 ° C.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the prepared black bean sauce evenly over the bottom of a baking dish. Pour the remaining black bean sauce in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Warm the tortillas on the stove, 20 seconds per side, don’t leave them too long or they will get stiff. Then gently dip a single tortilla in the bowl of black bean sauce until the tortilla is completely coated on each side. Transfer the tortilla to a plate, fill the tortilla with your desired fillings, then roll it up and place it seam-side-down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Spoon a generous portion of the remaining black bean sauce on top of the rolled tortillas. Bake (uncovered) for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with your favorite toppings. (And we recommend a few generous squeezes of fresh lime juice!)
This recipe makes a large batch of sauce! Feel free to refrigerate any leftovers in a sealed container for up to 3 days to enjoy later. It’s really tasty with eggs.